Thomas B. Hagen
Thomas Bailey Hagen is an American billionaire businessman, the Chairman and former CEO of Erie Insurance Group, and the son-in-law of the company’s founder.
- Thomas Hagen is chairman of Erie Indemnity and has been a part of the company for more than 50 years, including three years as CEO from 1990 to 1993.
- The publicly-traded insurance company was cofounded by his late wife Susan’s father, H. O. Hirt, and his friend O. G. Crawford.
- Susan Hagen, who was Erie’s longest serving director, died in June 2015 at age 79.
- Now the nation’s 12th largest auto insurer and 10th largest home insurer, the firm began with a business plan scribbled in a 10-cent notebook in 1925.
- In 2017, he gifted $1.5 million to Mercyhurst University’s history department, which subsequently took his name.