Vagit Yusufovich Alekperov is an Azerbaijani and Russian businessman, the president of the leading Russian oil company LUKOIL. As of 2019 he is rated by Forbes magazine as the third richest person in Russia with a net worth of $21.1 billion and the 46th richest person in the world.
- A former Caspian Sea oil rig worker, Vagit Alekperov became a deputy minister overseeing the oil industry in the Soviet Union.
- In 1991 he took three large ministry-controlled oil fields and set up Lukoil, now Russia’s largest independent oil company.
- Lukoil, of which he owns nearly a quarter, was hit by U.S. sanctions in September 2014.
- Lukoil is the third largest company in Russia after state companies Sberbank and Rosneft.
- With partner Leonid Fedun, Alekperov owns Dutch shipyard Heesen Yachts, where his 230-foot yacht Galactica Super Nova was built in 2016.