Alexey Alexandrovich Mordashov, is a Russian billionaire businessman. He is the main shareholder and chairman of Severstal, a Russian conglomerate with interests in metal, energy and mining companies.
- Alexey Mordashov, a majority shareholder in steel company Severstal, resigned as CEO in 2015 after 19 years in the role.
- A year earlier, he sold all of Severstal‘s North American units to focus on the Russian business.
- He also owns almost 25% of TUI Group, one of the biggest travel and tourism companies in the world.
- His Russian power equipment producer, Power Machines, which has a joint venture with Siemens, was hit by the U.S. sanctions in 2018.
- The son of mill workers, Mordashov rose to become the finance director of a steel mill.
- When the plant’s elderly director instructed him to acquire shares to keep them from an outsider, Mordashov kept most of them for himself.