Sheldon Gary Adelson is an American business magnate, investor, philanthropist, and political donor.
- Sheldon Adelson is the CEO and chairman of casino company Las Vegas Sands.
- He owns more than half of the $14 billion (sales) gambling empire, which has casinos in Las Vegas, Singapore and Macao, China.
- Adelson is currently being treated for cancer (non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma), but he’s still able to fulfill his executive duties.
- He didn’t get into the casino business until age 55 in 1989, when he and partners bought the Sands Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas for $128 million.
- Adelson is a big donor to Jewish organizations and has given $410 million to Birthright, which funds trips to Israel for young Jewish adults.
- A big President Trump supporter, Adelson and his wife donated $123 million to Republican campaigns and political action committees in 2018.
- The son of immigrants from Lithuania and Wales, Adelson grew up sleeping on the floor of a Boston tenement.