Mukesh Dhirubhai Ambani is an Indian business magnate, the chairman, managing director, and largest shareholder of Reliance Industries Limited, a Fortune Global 500 company and India’s most valuable company by its market value.
- Mukesh Ambani chairs and runs $88 billion (revenue) oil and gas giant Reliance Industries, among India’s most valuable companies.
- Reliance was founded by his late father Dhirubhai Ambani, a yarn trader, in 1966 as a small textile manufacturer.
- After his father’s death in 2002, Ambani and his younger sibling Anil divvied up the family empire.
- In 2016, Reliance sparked a price war in India’s hyper-competitive telecom market with the launch of 4G phone service Jio.
- Jio has signed on more than 340 million customers by offering free domestic voice calls, dirt-cheap data services and virtually free smartphones.