Mark Elliot Zuckerberg is an American internet entrepreneur and philanthropist. Zuckerberg is known for co-founding and leading Facebook as its chairman and chief executive officer. He also co-founded and is a board member of the solar sail spacecraft development project Breakthrough Starshot.
- After facing another year of criticism for allowing fake news on Facebook, CEO Mark Zuckerberg said his priority in 2019 is tackling social issues.
- In July 2019, the Federal Trade Commission fined Facebook $5 billion, its largest penalty in history, for violating consumers’ privacy.
- Zuckerberg started Facebook at Harvard in 2004 at the age of 19 for students to match names with photos of classmates.
- He took Facebook public in May 2012 and still owns about 15% of the stock.
- In December 2015, Zuckerberg and his wife, Priscilla Chan, pledged to give away 99% of their Facebook stake over their lifetimes.