Laurene Powell Jobs is an American businesswoman, executive and the founder of Emerson Collective, a social impact organization that, among other investing and philanthropic activities, advocates for policies concerning education and immigration reform, social justice and environmental conservation.
- Powell Jobs inherited billions of dollars of stock in Apple and Disney from her late husband, Apple cofounder Steve Jobs.
- In 2017, she bought a minority stake in the parent of the NBA’s Washington Wizards and the NHL’s Washington Capitals.
- She’s also purchased stakes in several media outlets, including a majority of The Atlantic magazine and all of California Sunday and Popup Magazine.
- She has been putting her fortune to work through Emerson Collective, a hybrid investment, social impact and philanthropic firm she founded in 2004.
- She launched the Emerson Collective Foundation during the second half of 2016 with a gift of $1.2 billion, much of it in Disney shares.